Sunday, January 1, 2012

Too Soon

So among our many New Year's Resolutions is being more consistent with our family scripture study. I gave the twins their own Book of Mormon this morning on the way to church because they had their first day in sunbeams. We decided that Darin would be in charge of making sure that family scripture study happens every night as I am already feeling like my cup is full with other family responsibilities. Darin gave a nice kid-friendly introduction of the Book of Mormon and then we started at the beginning with 1st Nephi Chapter 1. Right in the middle of reading we look over and Elizabeth is "texting" with her scriptures closed. I didn't think I would have to impose a "no texting during scripture study" rule on a three-year old, but I guess I do. I had to snap a pic though before I asked her to put the phone away because I may not think this is so cute when she is 14. In the Book of Mormon Class Member Study Guide there is a quote from Marion G. Romney that I was really touched by. It says, "I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from the Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who swell theirn. The spirit of reverence will increase, mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom.Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity - the pure love of Christ - will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness." When I read this quote from president Romney, it was like an answer to a prayer. I have been racking my brain trying to think of a way for us to have a more peaceful home, and there was the answer. "Read the Book of Mormon, Duh!" Man, I am a slow learner. I hope to keep president Romney's promise in mind when I start to get a little distracted and make this the year we finish the Book of Mormon as a family.

No comments: