Sunday, August 24, 2008

What A Week!

About a month ago, the music teacher in Rockland asked me to substitute for him for the first week of school. I said "sure" thinking I would do him a favor and get a little experience teaching K-12 General Music, Band, & Choir. Then I remembered that I have children and a family which is the whole reason why I am not teaching in the first place. After making childcare arrangements for my three little cherubs, I realized that I would only be making between $15-$22 per day after the school takes out taxes and I pay for babysitting. Worth it? I think not. I had already committed myself to the music teacher, and really I was his only choice, so I went ahead and taught 7 classes of music each day for the first week of school (Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday). Those of you that know me, know that I am a perfectionist, so I went over my lesson plans for several hours each night to make sure that I knew exactly how I was going to do things. I think the classes went well, I had fun. It was nice to have a little change in my life, but I definitely am still not planning on teaching anytime soon. I was so tired by the time I got home from school, that I didn't want to see anyone or do anything, but yet I still had to be wife and mom (which I prefer) and it is just too much for me to juggle. Kudos to those of you that can be working mothers, I don't know how you do it and keep your sanity.

2 comments:

Devin and Megan said...

Good for you for doing that!
I am truly sorry we never got together when we where in Idaho. We do want to do a visit, so we will definetly see ya when we visit!

Lanae said...

You graduated college as a teacher?