Monday, March 14, 2011

Embarrassing

So, last week I put an ad on Craigslist offering part-time child care. A lady with four boys called me and was interested and wanted to meet me in person to do an interview and let her boys meet me so they could learn the rules and see the house, etc. We set up a time for her to come and I made sure the house was ready and that my kids were presentable. She rang the door bell and I said hello to the boys and told them that they could go downstairs to the playroom while their mom and I chatted. The four boys started walking down the stairs and froze and put their hand over their eyes. I looked at the bottom of the stairs and low and behold, Elizabeth was standing there stark naked and said, "Hi, I am Elizabeth!" I ran down the stairs and said, "please, excuse her she is potty training and I guess decided to take all of her clothes off when she used the restroom" I took Elizabeth in her room and put her clothes on and told her that we should not let other people see our naked bodies. (Strike 1). The mom and I chatted and then I decided to show the boys the back yard. I told them that we had a very friendly dog and cat, but if they were afraid I would put the animals in their pen. The boys were excited about the dog and cat and I said, "they are very nice and love children." Just as the oldest child stepped on the back porch Mr.O'Malley decided he was an attack cat and he jumped forward and attacked the little boys leg (Strike 2). I apologized profusely and put the cat away and told them that he would not be out if they ever came back. As I was walking the family out the door I told the mom that we had just moved into this house about two months ago. Right at that time Emily came around the corner with some lacy pink underwear in her hand and she said, "mommy, these are pretty panties, you should wear these!" Those underwear were well hidden in my room, and I had no idea that she even knew where they were. She brought those out at the worst possible time. I felt myself turning hot and bright red and before I could even respond Abigail said, "yeah we moved from the love shack in Texas." (Strike 3 & 4) The "Love Shack" was the nick name for the grandmother's cottage that we lived in for five months while we were in Texas. I couldn't even think quick enough to respond. I quickly grabbed the lingerie and stuffed it in my pocket. The mother said, "The love shack huh?" I had to explain what that meant and she said, "Well, can we start on Monday?" I couldn't believe that I was hired. Either she was desperate for a babysitter or she appreciated how I worked under pressure. I am convinced that all three of my girls and the cat were out to sabotage me. Thank goodness the dog didn't pull anything.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Oh my! It could've happened to anyone. I guess she realized that:)